Please contact the town office at 296-3232 for any questions you may have.

Fax: 296-3200

Where is the Town Office located?

The Town Office is located at 394 Village Road.

.What are the hours of the Town Office?

See Town Office Link.

I need to re-register my vehicle, what do I need to do?

Town Office: Bring a copy of your old registration, current insurance card and current
mileage to the town office. You will need to pay your annual excise tax, plate and agent
fees upon renewal. Cash and Checks are the forms of payment accepted.

I have purchased a new vehicle, what do I need to do to register it?

For all registrations of new vehicles (never before registered in your name) you must come to the Town Office. We can now issue most all plates here.
Please read below to find out specifics about what is required of you based on the type of purchase you have made. Also please keep in mind that if it
is a fisrt time registration the person who is registering the vehicle must be present to sign all necessary paperwork.

Note: Motor Vehicle Registrations can now be finished/completed at the Town Office

Dealer Sale: You will need to bring copies of the following paperwork which you would have received at the time of the sale:
- Title Application (Blue)
- Dealer Certificate (Green)
- Window Sticker (for brand new vehicles)
As with all other registrations, you will also need to bring a copy of your current insurance card.
If you would like to transfer plates from an old vehicle to a new vehicle you will need to breing a copy of the old registration.

Private Sale: You will need to bring copies of the following paperwork which you should have received at teh time of the sale.
- Bill of Sale written from the previous owner to you to include year, make, model, vin # and purchase price of vehicle.
- The previous title (for all vehicles 1994 and newer) signed over to you by the previous owner (please keep in mind no cross outs or white out will be exceptable).
A copy of your current insurance card is required to register your vehicle. If you would like to transfer your plates from an old vehicle to a new vehicle you will need to breing a copy of the old registration.

I need to register my Trailer (boat or utility) how do I go about doing so?

1st time registrations (never before registered in your name), you will need the following:
- Bill of Sale to include make, year, model, vin# and purchase price
- Title if trailer is over 3,000 lbs.

Re-registrations can be completed at the Town Office. Please bring a copy of your old registration.

How do I register my "Recreational Toys"?

Bring your Bill of Sale/Dealer Certificate (for new boats) or a copy of your old
registration to the Town Office. You will be responsible for paying excise tax,
sales tax (on new boats), registration fee and the milfoil sticker fee.


Bring a copy of your old registraion to the Town Office. For campers never before registered in your name you will need the following:

- Bill of Sale to include make, year, model, vin# and purchase price
- Title if camper is over 3,00lbs

Atvs & Snowmobiles:
These can be registred at the Town Office or Online. For newly purchased ATV's or Snowmobiles you will need to bring a copy of your Bill of Sale/Dealer Certificate
to the Town Office. For previously registred ATV's or Snowmobiles, bring a copy of your old registration to the Town Office.

How do I get a fishing or hunting license?
In Person:
These can be purchased at any Town Office. Non-Maine residents must show identification.
To receive a hunting license you must provide a copy of your former hunting license.
The process to apply for each of these licenses is fairly simple and can usually be completed in a few minutes at any Town Office. Upon application and payment of fees you will be issued your license.

Each of these licenses can also be purchased on-line through the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. The MOSES system, Maine Online Sportsman's Electronic System, is available at www.state.me.us/ifw/licreg/licandreg.htm.

You must show proof of having completed a hunters safety course for (hunting, archery or crossbow) in order to get an adult license.  If you have not completed the course you can go to www.state.me.us/ifw to see when & where a course will be offered.  They tend to start in August and run through September.

How do I get rid of my trash?

The Town of Stetson has curbside trash pickup, that is included in your taxes.
Trash is picked up every Tuesday. Have your trash in acceptable trash cans or bags;
at the roadside by 7:00 am. Please do not block your mailbox access.

*No Recycling is available at this time.

What do I need to burn brush or scrap wood?

To burn brush or wood in the open air, you need a burn permit. A burn permit can be obtained
from the Town Fire Warden or one of his agents. You can not burn trash, plastics, tires, rubber,
asphalt shingles, or other materials in your brush pile. All permits expire at Midnight. Listed are
the people to contact for permits.

Dwayne Leighton (Warden) (Day) 296-2601 (Evening) 296-2900
Dan or Dawn Worcester (Evening) 296-2578

Burn Permits may be obtained online at www.maine.gov/burnpermit for $7.00 2 days.

Mailbox Guidelines

Mailbox Location and Construction Information


Broken mailbox posts may happen during a snow storm, even though our plow drivers are warned to take all precautions to avoid striking them with the wing of the plow.

In the event your mailbox is damaged by the town plow, we ask you to make any needed temporary repairs if possible. Our plow contractor will replace damaged boxes that are properly placed. He is not responsible for posts or paper boxes.

The Town will not replace or reimburse for custom made mailboxes, ornate posts, granite posts, etc. Even though State of Maine law views mailboxes as an encroachment in the public way put there at the owner's risk, municipalities are not legally liable for damage or repairs to mailboxes due to plowing operations.

Some tips on placement of mailboxes that will help to minimize the chance of damage:

***Place reflective material on the side of the box visible to approaching traffic, also, 4" high letters to identify the address is recommended to assist emergency vehicles.
***Mailbox post size must not exceed 4"x 4" for a wooden post or 2" diameter for a steel pipe post for roadside barrier safety. Posts that are more substantial in construction are considered "deadly fixed objects" and are not recommended.
***Generally, mailboxes should be installed at lest 42 to 45 inches from the road surface to the bottom of the mailbox. Also recommended is the use of an extended arm type of post with a free-swinging suspended mailbox. This allows snowplows to sweep near or under boxes without damage to supports and provides easy access to the boxes by the carrier and customer.
***For uncurbed roadways, set the mailbox back at the far edge of the road shoulder to provide maximum possible roadway clearance. For curbed roads the face of the mailbox should be 8 - 12 inches from the curb face.

Your participation and cooperation in complying with the above will be greatly appreciated by your rural carrier, postal service and Town of Stetson.